Loving my new DIY!


 Deodorant and I have always had a Love-Hate relationship.  After trying every product known to man, I still get sweaty pits.  That's just how it is, and I have embraced that.  =) But then there is the problem that I can't seem to find one that doesn't react with my skin and cause a funky smell.  I had found one by Dove that I liked reasonably well, but I had been wanting to try one without Aluminum.  So I tried Tom's Aluminum Free.  And I hated it.  No one should ever wear Apricot anything under their arms.  Nasty.   I had to stop wearing that immediately and I had no deodorant in the house so I took a container of body butter and added some peppermint oil to it and rubbed in on.  I loved it!  So then I did some research and decided to try to make my own deodorant.  It's really not as hard as I thought it would be.  Actually it's easy!  And I love it!!!  I dumped out that Tom's stuff and replaced it with my own recipe: listed below.


DIY Natural Deodorant

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
6 TBSP Coconut Oil (may need to heat it up a bit if it is still solid)
15 drops peppermint oil (or essential oil of your choice)
5 drops tea tree oil (natural antiseptic)

Mix together and let harden a bit in fridge.  Before all the way hardened, press into empty deodorant container.  (There will be a little extra.)  I keep mine in the fridge because my bathroom gets rather warm and I'm afraid it will get soupy (the coconut oil turns to liquid above 76 degrees).  If you don't want to keep it in the fridge then I would put it in a different container and just apply by hand.  Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Right there with you on the deodorant thing! I too, tried this recipe and I love, love, loved it! No stinky pits...at all! No stains on shirts. But I could not stop the horrible rash I started getting after a few days, at first I thought maybe it is just the toxins coming out after years of aluminum use. After a few weeks I finally had to quit using it and my skin turned black and peeled. Not a pretty sight.:-) I tried varying my recipe a little using arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch...same thing. I figured maybe the baking soda is irritating so I tried a recipe with very little baking soda...no rash, but stinky pits. Ugh! So I'm very sad this didn't work for me. I hope you have better luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The NEW Strawberry Jam

Laundry Soap Update

THINGS I LEARNED FROM MY MOTHER