Saturday, December 14, 2013
Every Christmas I have to remind myself not to fall into the "Perfect Christmas" trap. I have to focus on what is truly important and weed out the rest. Here is my list to remind myself what's important:
My Christmas List
1. It's okay to say no.
2. My kids aren't going to suffer if I don't make Christmas candy.
3. My house doesn't need to look like Martha Stewart or Pottery Barn.
4. I don't need to stress out so much about picking out the perfect gift. It's the thought that counts. (right?)
5. No one is going to hate me if they don't get a Christmas card from me.
6. My super-mom status won't change if I don't make cut-out Christmas cookies.
7. I don't need to attend every Christmas show and activity in town.
8. It's okay to stay home and enjoy quiet evenings with my family.
9. The world won't end if I'm not involved in the Christmas choir. (gasp!)
10. I don't even really have to have a family Christmas picture. The one from the summer will work just fine. (won't it?!)
It may seem like a no-brainer to you, but I need these reminders. The real reason we celebrate has less to do with hurry-scurry and more to do with slow-down-and-ponder. Think about the baby in a manger. Think about what he gave up to be the Savior of the world. Amazing! Enjoy!